Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Russian Front Game photos

It's been awhile since me last update, so I thought I'd put up a quick post suggesting you head on over to the Gettysburg Area Gamers website and check out the photo gallery for some pictures of some of the great games we've played in the past. There are also some pics of the recent 54mm Russian front game I ran using Arc of fire. The game was actually the same scenario as recorded in my last post with some minor changes. It was played on a larger table, and both the Russians and the Germans rolled much better on the additional units chart, with the Ruskies getting a 47mm AT gun and the Germans rolling the Sdkfz.222 for this game. The group played out the scenario very differently than Rueben and Clay did. The Halftrack was destroyed on the first turn by AT gun fire. The game quickly turned into an infantry battle for the stone bridge. We had to call the game at the end of turn 8 due to time restraints. I called it as a Russian Victory as they were still holding all of their objectives, however I think if we had gone another 2 turns the Reds would have been done.

7 comments:

Garibaldi said...

Hi,
i am a wargamer in 20mm scale but i still love 54 mm figures and vehicles (i am trying to collect italeri, Airfix, 21st century 1/32, TSSD & Conte but both hard to find in European shops). I have seen pictures of this game on the Gettysburg A.G. site : Is the russian Maxim a King&Country model?

TheWart said...

Yes, the Maxim is a King and Country Model. Unfortunately the King and Country model is the only Maxim I've been able to find in 54mm.

Garibaldi said...

King & Country are so nice but so expensive! For the Maxim, searching on the net, I've found the Zvezda box 3584 Soviet machinguns w/crews (1/35) and Irregular miniatures (UK - 54mm). What do you think about mixing 1/35 and 1/32 figures?

TheWart said...

I've seen the Zvezda set, but never thought of checking out Irregular for 54mm stuff. Thanks for the Tip.

I have mixed some 1/35 Vehicle and Gun kits with the 1/32 figures, but I find the 1/35 figures to be too spindly by comparison. Especially next to the TSSD and Conte Figures.

Garibaldi said...

I think the same for the difference between 1/32 an 1/35.
What rule do you use for 54 mm games? I'm looking for skirmish rules...
For 1/72 (or 20mm) I play Operation World War 2 (first published by italeri and now available on the net for free).

TheWart said...

I use the Arc of Fire Rules for all my World War II games. The Rules are very versatile, easy to learn, and play fast. The company that publishes them also produce a great series of "skirmish campaign" books.

Garibaldi said...

Hi,
I've never played AoF rules...
I've finally found Conte figures (German set 4) and they are really nice.
I'll visit the Gettysburg AG (I'am an ACW fan but I live in Belgium - a bit far from the US) and your blog from time to time. Good Game!